Cleaning floor tiles can be a daunting task. There is the constant scrubbing, and the floor and grout never seem to look as good as they once did.
But with the help of a steam mop, hard floor cleaning can be a breeze. Not only do steam mops clean better than traditional mops, but they also sanitize the floors as they go.
If you’re looking for a way to make tile floor cleaning easier, invest in a steam mop. This blog post will review the best steam mop for tile and give our opinion on which ones are best for different needs.
We’ll also provide some advice on finding the perfect steamer for the type of tiles you have in your home and floor size. For those of you who want to dive straight into the list, you’ll find our recommendations below:
How to Choose the Best Steam Mop for Tile Floors
Tile steam cleaners generally follow the same basic design. But different models come with various features and attachments, thus making them more suited for certain flooring types and floor sizes than others. So, it is vital to figure out precisely what you want before shopping around.
The size of your floor and area to be steam cleaned should be one of the first things you consider. Floor tiles also vary in size depending on where they are located in your home (kitchen floor tiles tend to be bigger than those in bathrooms, for example).
We suggest choosing a steam mop for tile that is powerful enough to clean large areas yet compact and lightweight enough to easily maneuver around smaller spaces.
If you have sealed tile flooring, then the best steam mops for tile floors are featured on our list above and more information is available below. If you have a combination of different types of flooring in your home, we recommend looking for a steam mop with various steam control. This way, you can use your steam mop on the low setting for laminate floors and the high setting for tiled floors.
A floor steamer with a long cord will allow you to clean larger areas without having to stop and plug the device into another power source. Also, floor steamers that are lightweight enough for easy carrying are perfect for cleaning stairs or other hard-to-reach spots.
Other features to consider are steam controls and various steam levels, availability of replacement mop pads, and safety features such as an automatic shut-off timer. The size of the water tank and ease of filling is always a consideration too.
Lastly, most floor steam cleaners come equipped with different attachments that make floor cleaning even more effortless. If dirty grout is a problem for you, look for a steam cleaner with added attachments to help your grout look like new again.
If you have carpeted areas in your home, or floor rugs, many floor steamers come with a carpet glider attachment, allowing you to refresh these areas without having to rent or buy an expensive deep-cleaning machine.
Others also include window squeegees so you can use the same device to clean both your floor and windows, shower screens or mirrors.
Now, you know how to choose the best steam mop for tile floors, let’s take a further look at our top choices:
McCulloch MC1375 Canister Steam System
The McCulloch Canister steam cleaners are one of my favorite floor cleaners, due to their long running time, strong output of steam and reasonable price. I like the 13 inch x 8.5 inch large mop head and the quality of the accessories provided as standard, including brass brushes and scrub pads. Brass brushes are excellent for scrubbing grout, particularly if you have never used a steamer on grout before, or have a large amount of grout to clean.
The only thing you may need to purchase separately are more microfiber steam mop pads, as the unit only comes with one of these, plus a scrubbing mop pad for the floor.
When it comes time to replace utility brushes and replacement pads, generic brands are reasonably inexpensive. It is worth noting that McCulloch branded microfiber mop pads are superior to the generic brands, so stick with these where possible to avoid wet messes on your floor.
Oapier S8 Steam Mop
- Designed to get into corners with ease
- Ergonomic handle
- 360-degrees swivel head
- Heats within 20 seconds
- Heavier than other models
- Small water tank than other models
- Doesn't stand up on its own
- Carpet glider sold separately
This is a budget-priced steam mop from Oapier, a division of the Light n Easy steam mop brand. This steam mop does what it says – cleans your tile floors.
There are no bells and whistles; you pour the water into the 8.8oz water tank and start steam cleaning in less than 30 seconds.
The versatile handle rotates in a 360-degree direction, allowing you to mop forwards and backward, then quickly move the mop sideways without having to turn the entire unit around.
- Carpet tool available (but sold separately)
- 20ft power cord
- Only 1 mop head pad included; recommend buying more
- Floor cleaner only, no attachments for grout
- 1-year warranty
- 1150 watts of power, not as strong as other steam mops on this list
- 8.8oz water tank, also the smallest on this list
Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
The Dupray neat is a compact steaming machine and Dupray’s bottom-of-the-line steam cleaner. This unit has a small footprint yet holds 54 ounces of water and runs for up to 50 minutes.
While it doesn’t look like it, this little steaming machine is on wheels and will roll around behind as you steam clean your tile floor. There’s a pop-up handle on the top where you can pick up the cleaner to go upstairs or down. The steam outputs at 50 PSI, which is a moderate output.
- Compact machine with 50 minutes running time
- Included accessories
- Comparable to a good quality steam mop in price
- Takes longer to heat up than advertised (Dupray advertises 7 minutes, in reality, allow 10-15 minutes).
- Impractical design for the power cord, which wraps around the bottom of the base.
- Unable to refill steamer while in use.
Polti Vaporetto Smart Mop
Polti is one of the leading brands in steamers, the Vaporetto Smart Mop being the bottom of the line unit. Rather than an all-in-one steam mop, Polti offers a selection of cylinder steam cleaners.
The Vaporetto Smart Mop is comparable to the Dupray unit above, with 51 PSI of steam, slightly fewer accessories, but the benefit of the most practical ones, such as a carpet glider, window squeegee, and nylon brushes, all of which are stored on board the unit.
The steam heats in the boiler tank to 282°F; however, don’t expect the steam to output at this temperature. By the time it travels to the steam mop pad, the temperature is around 212°F. This is still an adequate temperature for sanitizing, disinfecting, and destroying pests such as bed bugs.
- Outputs steam at 51PSI – similar output as the Dupray above
- Tap water-friendly
- Polti offer excellent customer service if there are any issues
- Bristles on attachments broke away and melted.
- 1-year warranty
- Only 2 mop pads came with the steamer; I recommend purchasing more.
- Unable to refill while in use (the next model up can be filled during steaming. This is the Polti Vaporetto Smart 100, which is approximately $200 more expensive – see below)
- Boiler temperature heats to 280F
- Tip temperature approx 212F
- Continuous refill - no downtime when water is low
- Onboard accessory storage
- Replacement accessories available
PurSteam Hard Floor Cleaner
The PurSteam hard floor cleaner is a versatile and lightweight steam mop perfect for cleaning all floor surfaces, including tile floors. The floor cleaner comes with many different attachments, including a triangular head, straight nozzle, nylon brushes, fabric steaming plate, and window squeegee so you can clean every nook and cranny of your floor and the rest of your home.
This multipurpose steam cleaner can be used for floor cleaning, window cleaning, mirror and glass cleaning, and garment steaming. The PurSteam floor cleaner also comes with an adjustable steam control function so you can customize your floor cleaning experience to fit your needs.
Top Features of the PurSteam Steam Mop Cleaner 10-in-1
- Multipurpose: A steam mop and handheld steam cleaner in one. Clean tiles, carpets, ovens, grills, windows, and more.
- Lightweight and Compact Design: This steam mop has an ergonomic design that makes it easy to hold and maneuver.
- Microfiber Steam Mop Replacement Pads: This tile floor cleaner comes with three microfiber pads to clean different types of flooring. Microfiber floor mop replacement pads are washable and reusable, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing replacements often.
- Steam Control Function: An electronic steam control function regulates the amount of steam used for different types of flooring.
- Lightweight and compact design, weighing only 2.2 pounds.
- Mop pads are easy to source and replace at a small cost.
- Multiple Accessories for floor cleaning and window/mirror cleaning.
- Steam control function for customizable steam output. This is beneficial if you have both tile and laminate floors.
- The ergonomic design makes it easy to hold and maneuver around.
- Short power cord; you will need to move power points regularly
- 11.5oz water tank steams for approximately 10 minutes on the highest setting or 20 minutes on the low setting.
- Brush attachments wear down quickly
- Plastic components are lightweight, durability can be an issue
A PurSteam floor steamer is a budget option for anyone that needs multiple tools in a compact floor steam cleaner. It comes with attachments to help you clean different flooring surfaces, including ceramic tile floors. It is also lightweight and compact, so it’s easy to store when not in use.
Bissell Powerfresh Steam Mop
Bissell steam mops are among the most popular brands on the market today. They offer a wide selection of steam mops for tile floors, all with different features and attachments.
This model is lightweight and easy to maneuver around corners thanks to its swivel head. It has digitally operated steam controls with three steam settings.
The Bissell steam mop also comes with a floor cleaning attachment for upholstery and two mop head pads that are machine washable. Its water tank can hold enough water to give you about 40 minutes of hot steam, which is more than the industry average (usually, floor steamers last 30-35 minutes on one fill.
Top Features of the Bissell Powerfresh Steam Mop
- 3 Steam settings (low, medium, high)
- Grout scrubber – use the foot pedal to disconnect the steam head from the built-in scrubber.
- Swivel head: The floor cleaner’s swivel head makes it easy to maneuver around tight corners and small spaces.
- Two mop pads: The floor cleaner comes with two different machine-washable mop pads, which can be used for various floor surfaces.
- Built-in Scent Disc Tray: The floor cleaner also has a built-in scent disc tray that can be filled with your favorite scent discs to help keep your home smelling fresh. You can also use Bissell’s scented cleaning solution.
- Lightweight and easy to maneuver.
- 12-inch wide steam head
- Includes floor cleaning attachment and two mop pads.
- Suitable for ceramic tile, marble tile, and granite tiles.
- 2 Year Limited Warranty.
- Floor use only, no attachments – but the scrubber will help with grout cleaning and is easy to detach using your foot.
A Bissell Powerfresh Steam Mop is a good choice for anyone looking for a lightweight and easy-to-use hard floor steam mop. It is suitable for cleaning all floor tile types, from bathroom floors to kitchen tiles and even hardwood floors.
Vapamore MR-100 Primo Steam Cleaner
The Vapamore floor cleaner is a powerful and durable steam cleaner perfect for cleaning all floor surfaces, including tile floors. It comes with 20 different attachments, including a carpet glider, upholstery brush, grout brushes, window squeegee, and more.
The floor steamer is designed with several safety features, including an automatic shut-off timer and pressure control system. The floor cleaner also has a “control lock” so you can prevent the machine from turning on accidentally when it’s not in use.
This floor steamer also offers a lifetime warranty so you can be sure that your floor cleaner is protected from any defects or malfunctions.
Top Features of the Vapamore MR-100 Primo Steam Cleaner
- Robust and durable: The Vapamore is designed with a powerful 1500 watt motor that makes it perfect for steam mopping tile floors.
- CEME electronic SOLENOID valve: The floor cleaner also uses a CEME electronic solenoid valve that regulates the steam pressure to control how much power is used.
- Capacity & Performance: The floor cleaner features a large tank of 1.6-liter and can provide up to 60 minutes of continuous steam cleaning.
- Replaceable parts: Easy to purchase replaceable parts to keep your machine in good condition for years to come.
- Lifetime warranty: The Vapamore MR-100 also has a lifetime warranty on the boiler, heating element, and internal electronics. This machine is built to last.
- Pressure control system and automatic shut-off timer: These safety features help prevent accidents, prolong the life of the steamer, and ensure that users can clean floor surfaces quickly and easily.
- Attachments: The floor cleaner comes with several different attachments so you can clean all flooring types, including tile floors.
- Large water tank.
- Comes with a floor cleaning attachment and a host of other extensions.
- 1500 Watt Powerful floor steamer that is perfect for tile floors.
- A lifetime warranty on the boiler tank, electronic components, and heating element.
- 51 PSI makes this machine on par with Durpay and Polti regarding steam output.
- If you are outside the USA, you will need to send this product back to Vapamore in the US for any repairs under warranty.
- Only 2 nylon brushes are included with the steamer. Additional brushes can be purchased at an extra cost.
- Takes at least 11 minutes to heat up, not ideal for quick clean-up jobs.
Vapamore is one of the best steam cleaner brands on the market for quality machines with excellent warranties. Replacement brushes and mop pads are readily available, although expect to pay $18-20 per replacement attachment.
Shark Steam Pocket Mop
Shark is a leading name in steam mops, and the steam pocket mop had to make this list for its versatility and budget price.
I really like the two mop head designs (rectangle and triangle) that come with this machine and the ability to flip over the mop head when it becomes dirty and continue steaming. I recommend purchasing extra cleaning pad supplies, as the steamer comes with one for each shaped head.
- Fast heat up time
- Two different shaped mop heads with one pad for each (we recommend purchasing extras)
- Short electrical cord (18ft)
- Distilled water should be used for the longevity of the machine
- No attachments for grout
Bissell Symphony Steam Mop and Vacuum
The Bissell Crosswave and Bissell Spinwave are two products that are popular in the cleaning market in 2021, however, neither of these are actual steam mops. That’s where the Bissell Symphony comes in.
The Bissell Symphony steam mop and vacuum is excellent for homes with tile floors and pets who wander in and out. The steam mop operates at 1100 watts, not as powerful as others on this list, but I’ll forgive that for the efficiency of being able to vacuum pet hair and steam your floor at the same time.
Bissell have thought of everything with this steam mop and vacuum combo. Here are some of the excellent benefits of this machine:
- Compatible with Swiffer floor pads which you can throw away after cleaning.
- Included disposable pads for cleaning up messes that you don’t want on a reusable mop pad.
- Vacuum tank can be emptied without touching the contents inside.
- Reusable microfiber soft pad and scrubbing pad included.
- Included odor eliminating scent discs so your home doesn’t smell like wet dog.
And some of the not so great points:
- Works well for pet hair, but the vacuum isn’t strong enough to fully pick up kitty litter and spilt kibble.
- The power cord isn’t long enough and you will need to change power outlets throughout your home.
- The vacuum is positioned in front of the mop, therefore it will not steam mop right to the edge of your floors.
- Needs a bit of trial and error to get the positioning right so you can vacuum and steam at the same time. Otherwise you can end up with dirt lines and wet pet hair stuck in the wheels.
- Not a vacuum for carpet – this is a hard floor tool only.
The best way to deep clean tile flooring is with a tile steam cleaner. A tile cleaner is designed specifically for cleaning floor surfaces to provide the most complete and practical floor cleaning experience possible.
Steam mops and canister steam cleaners work quickly and effectively to remove floor dust, grime, dirt, stains, etc., while also providing customized floor care options that other cleaners cannot match.
Plus, most floor steamers come with various attachments that can be used on different flooring surfaces, including tiled floors.