If you are looking for a good alternative to a conventional mop and bucket for your hardwood flooring, using a steam mop is an option. There are a few things you need to be aware of however, to avoid damage to your hardwood floors. In this list below, we will cover the best steam mop for hardwood floors, as well as a brief overview of keeping your wood floors in top condition when using steam for cleaning.
For cleaning hardwood floors, we recommend a steam mop with variable steam settings. If you use too high a heat or too much steam on your hardwood flooring, you can cause damage to the floors even if they are sealed. An example of this is white marks or patches on the timber flooring.
Here are our top picks:
O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop
The first wood floor steamer on our list is the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop. This product uses microfibers that are designed to pick up dust, dirt, and grime better than many other commercially available mop pads because of their ability to attract particles using static electricity without leaving behind streaks or lint.
With a dial on the front, you can vary the steam setting to suit your cleaning needs. Turn it down to low for hardwood flooring, and up to high for your tiled floors. Although distilled water is best for any steam mop, you can use tap water in this mop as long as you descale it with a vinegar solution regularly.
Top Features of the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop
- Microfiber Refill Pads: You won’t have to worry about constantly buying cleaning pads for this wood floor steamer. Instead, you can wash and reuse its microfiber pad up to 25 times before discarding it.
- Swivel Head: The head of the mop pivots on a ball joint that allows you to turn it in any direction.
- Steam Ready Indicator Light: This wood floor steamer has a red light that comes on to let you know when it is producing steam, which makes this product extremely user-friendly. Plus, the large water tank allows you to clean for an extended period of time before refilling it again with more water.
- Odorless: This wood floor steamer produces no unpleasant smells, so you don’t have to worry about your environment becoming toxic while you’re cleaning.
- Cost and Value: The O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop is one of the most affordable hardwood flooring steamers on the market today. It’s an excellent value for its price.
- Budget priced steam mop under $100
- Variable steam control
- Includes carpet glider attachment
- Pointed triangle head for better reach into corners
- Lightweight and easy to glide
- Doesn’t stand up on its own
- No auto shut off feature
- 1 year warranty
Overall, the O-Cedar Microfiber Steam Mop is a great product for those who want an affordable hardwood floor steamer. Plus, it can be used with just water whenever you want a wood floor cleaner that is free of chemicals or other harmful substances.
With all these features in mind, we recommend this wood floor steamer as one of the best on the market today for those who have wood floors in their homes.
Shark S5003D Genius Steam Mop
The Shark S5003D Genius Hard Floor Cleaning Steam Mop is a lightweight and easy to use steam mop. With variable steam settings it is excellent for steaming hardwood flooring. The unit heats up quickly and produces a high volume of steam for cleaning sealed hardwood floors in just a short amount of time.
One of the excellent features of Shark steam mops is you don’t have to hold down a button or steam trigger to make the unit work. The forward and backward pushing and pulling motion when using the steam mop generates the steam.
The double sided pad design is handy, when one side is dirty, flip the unit over and keep on steaming with the other side. When both sides are dirty, you can use a lever to remove the hot dirty microfiber pad, so you don’t have to touch this until it has cooled and you are placing it in the wash.
The Shark Genius is popular for hardwood flooring due to the variable steam levels and the ability to effectively steam clean timber floors without leaving any streaking. It is also easy to assemble, with pieces clipping together so you can get steaming quickly.
- Lightweight, weighing under 6 pounds without water
- Swivel mop head turns in any direction
- Double sided mop head
- Extra steam blast
- Quality brand
- Doesn’t stand up on its own
- 1 year warranty
- Best used for light to medium cleaning
The Shark steam pocket mop is a great alternative to a traditional mop for those who need something lightweight and compact so they can clean their floors quickly and easily. It also comes with a steam blaster technology that provides a deeper clean for wood floors than some of the other wood floor steamers on the market today.
I also like how you can easily flip the mop head over when the pad is dirty and continue on steaming. You essentially get double the use out of your mop head before needing to change the cleaning pad.
With all these features in mind, we highly recommend this for anyone looking for a Shark steam mop for hardwood floors.
Bissell PowerFresh Steam Mop
If you’re looking for a wood floor steamer that can also be used to clean your pet’s bedding, then the Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steam Mop is an excellent option. This product cleans not only wood floors but also carpets, upholstery, and even pet crates.
To use it as a wood floor steamer, fill the water tank with distilled water or Bissell’s range of scented demineralized waters. Turn on the unit, wait for it to heat up, and then start mopping your floors. The triangular-shaped head of the Bissell steam mop is designed to get into tight spaces, and the 25-foot power cord means you can move around your entire room without having to unplug and re-plug it multiple times.
Top Features of the Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steam Mop
- Carpet Cleaning: Not only is the Bissell Steam Mop great for any floor surface including wood floors. It can also be used to sanitize carpets.
- Removable Handheld Steam Cleaner: This wood floor steamer comes with a handheld steam cleaner that you can use on tight spaces like pet crates, upholstery, and even car seats.
- Removable Tank: The water tank on this wood floor steamer is removable, which makes it easy to fill up and clean.
- Scented Cleaning Solutions: If you don’t want your house to smell like chemicals while you’re cleaning, then the Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steam Mop is a great option. It comes with scented cleaning solutions that help to cover up any unpleasant smells.
- Accessories: The Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steam Mop also comes with a variety of accessories, such as a scrubber brush, Attachable Water Cup, grout cleaner, and window squeegee.
- Scented cleaning solution friendly
- Accessories included with purchase
- Removable handheld steamer
- Ideal for pet owners
- Adjustable steam settings, suitable for hardwood floors
- 2 year warranty
- It can be a bit heavy to push and when carrying it around
- Not tap water friendly
Overall, the Bissell PowerFresh Lift-Off Pet Steam Mop is a great wood floor steamer for pet owners who want to get rid of dirt and debris from their wood floors without using harsh chemicals. The unit comes with scented cleaning solutions that help reduce the number of toxic chemicals you’re exposed to every time you clean your wood floors.
Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
The next wood floor steamer on our list is the Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner. This product uses water to heat up and transform into superheated steam that can be used to clean hardwood floors without using harsh chemicals like ammonia, bleach solutions, or any other toxic substance to achieve the same results.
The wood floor steamer has a maximum steam output of 50 psi, so it’s not going to output steam so powerful it takes the coating of your sealed hardwood. Plus, this product is eco-friendly and chemical-free.
Top Features of the Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner
- Commercial-Grade: This wood floor steamer is perfect for those who need a product that can handle heavy-duty cleaning jobs. With its 1500-watt heating element, this unit can produce steam quickly and easily to help you get the job done fast.
- Automatic Shut-Off: This wood floor steamer has an automatic shut-off feature that kicks in whenever the water tank gets too low. It also shuts off when it overheats, which protects both you and your wood floors from damage.
- Versatility: The Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner can be used for a variety of tasks besides wood floor cleaning. These include wood floor steam mopping, removing wallpaper and glue residue from walls, deodorizing mattresses or furniture with pet odors, killing dust mites in your upholstery, and more.
- Lifetime warranty on the boiler tank, 2 year warranty on other parts and accessories
- Auto shut off
- 2 year warranty
- Versatile and can be used for a variety of tasks with the added attachments
- Runs for up to 50 minutes, great for larger homes
- Poor design of the power cord, wrapping around the base
- Cannot be refilled when in use. You need to wait for the steamer to cool down, then refill with water and heat up again.
The Dupray Neat Steam Cleaner is a commercial-grade wood floor steamer that comes at a higher price tag than some of the other models on this list. However, its features make it well worth the investment if you’re looking for a heavy-duty wood floor steamer that can do more than wood floors.
Best Steamer For Wood Floors: A Buying Guide
When it comes to steam mops for wood floors, there are a few factors you need to take into consideration before making your purchase.
- First, you’ll want to decide if you want a steam mop or a canister steam cleaner. Floor steamers (aka canister steam cleaners) are larger and more cumbersome but can cover a wider area at once. They’re also ideal for deep cleaning a hardwood floor. Steam mops are smaller and more portable but may not be as powerful as their larger counterparts.
- Second, you’ll need to decide how important the features are to you. Some features to consider include a cord wrap system so you can easily store your steamer, an automatic shut-off system in case of accidental tipping, and adjustable steam settings, so you don’t have to worry about damaging your hardwood floor.
- Finally, consider how much you’re willing to spend on your steam cleaning machine. If it’s just for light cleaning purposes, such as removing dust or dirt then an inexpensive steam mop will likely do the trick. However, if you have largen wooden floor areas to clean, you’ll likely need to invest in larger and more expensive model.
In short, there are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a the best steam mop for wood floors. By considering the factors above, you can find the perfect wood floor steamer for your needs and budget.
If you’re looking to purchase the best steam mop for hardwood floors with all of the important features and still save some cash, take a look at our top picks! Each product reviewed above has its own list of pros and cons, but they all have something to offer homeowners who want clean wood floors without the use of harsh chemicals or heavy scrubbing.
We hope this review has helped make it easier to find the right product for your needs! So, which wood floor steamer will you choose to help keep your floors looking fabulous?