Everything You Need to Know About
Steam Mops, Cleaners and Clothing Steamers
Expert advice for using steam to effectively clean your home.
years of experience
Why Trust Steamer Advice
I’ll help You Find the Best Steam Cleaner for Your Home
Hi I’m Lauren. I own a handheld, commercial and upright clothes steamer and have been steaming instead of ironing for the last 10 years.
I then discovered steam mops. I now own a Shark steam mop, a Vax steam mop with handheld unit, a McCulloch MC1385 steam cleaner and a Eurogem commercial steam vacuum. And I use them – a lot! Especially cleaning up after my pugs. Click the button below to learn more about me, and why you should trust my advice.
Browse the Latest Advice on Steaming
From steaming clothing, to cleaning without chemicals, to natural pest control, the blog is where you will find helpful advice, how to guides and general information about using steam around your home.
Steaming a Jacket | Down, Leather & Everything in Between
Best Way to Clean Laminate Floors – Top Tips for a Streak-Free Finish
Can Bed Bugs Live in Memory Foam?
Does Steam Cleaning Kill Fleas?
Can You Use a Steam Mop on Peel and Stick Tile?
Does Steam Kill Mold?
Is Hot Water Extraction The Same as Steam Cleaning?
How to Steam a Wedding Dress
How to Clean a Clothes Steamer
Is a Steam Mop Safe for Laminate Floors? A Guide to Using Steam Mops on Laminate Flooring
Clothes Steamer vs Iron
Does Steam Cleaning Kill Carpet Beetles?
Product Reviews From Someone Who Actually Uses Steam
I may not be able to buy every product on the market, but, owning various steam mops and steam cleaners, I know what works better than others. I bring my experience with steam cleaning to every product review. Find reviews on:
Benefits of Using Steam
Steam cleaning is a process that uses high-pressure steam to sanitize, deodorize and clean in one step. Using steam for cleaning is an effective way to kill bacteria and viruses with little leftover residue.
Steam cleaners provide a hassle-free and straightforward cleaning method. With heat and water, you can now efficiently sanitize every corner of your home.
The health benefits of using this method are significant as it kills bacteria while improving indoor air quality by removing pollutants. Compared to using other methods like bleach or hot soapy water, steam is natural and effective, avoiding respiratory problems that can occur with chemical use.
If you have pets in your home, using steam for cleaning will help to reduce odors, sanitize pet areas and kill fleas and their eggs, with no nasty chemicals that could harm your precious pet.
Here are ways you can use steam around your home:
- Clean floors including grout and tiles.
- Cleaning your kitchen, removing grease and grime with ease, sanitizing benchtops and cutting boards.
- Disinfect your bathroom, shower, toilet and other wet areas.
- Safely kills mold, viruses and germs around the home.
- Steam kills fleas, dust mites, bed bugs and other allergens.
- Clean carpets, upholstery and other furniture.
- Disinfect children’s toys, both hard toys and stuffed animals.
- Clean windows, mirrors and glass.
- Clean your car interior, wheel rims and engine bay.
- Refresh your mattress, linen and remove wrinkles from clothing.
- Sanitize pillows, comforters, cushions and soft furnishings.
- Cook vegetables for maximum nutrient retention.
- Treat yourself to home facials, self care or steam your hair.
- Add moisture back into the air if you live in a dry environment.
- Clean your clothing, reduce the need and cost of dry cleaning… and many more!
If you suffer from allergies, use a steam cleaner. Not only will you avoid irritating your allergies further, but it also uses chemicals that are harmful to the environment.
Steam cleaners are great for use on any variety of surfaces, whether hard or soft. They clean without using harsh chemicals and are very efficient – they kill 99% of bacteria.
Additionally, detergents fail to remove chemical residue left behind by previous cleaning processes. Hot steam vapor is natural, sanitary, and even cleans down to the pores of hard surfaces!
Using Steam for Pest Control
Professionals in pest control agree that steam can be used to remove a large variety of pests, from bed bugs to fleas to dust mites and even fly larvae. The high heat from steam eradicates pests in short amounts of time.
Steam can permeate deep into carpets, mats, rugs, and other materials. Harmful organisms are destroyed by steam, making steam vapor cleaners among the most effective methods to eliminate microorganisms.
Another benefit of using steam vapor cleaners is that the steam vaporizes nearly immediately, leaving carpets and fabrics virtually dry. Many solution-based cleaning methods leave carpets and other materials damp for hours after cleaning, creating an environment for these organisms to reproduce.
Steam cleaning is ideal for drains and other areas with organic matter accumulation. Not only will steam break down the organic matter but any larvae produced by pests will also be killed on contact with steam. So, if you’re having a pest control problem in your home, try using steam for a natural and safe method to keep pests at bay.
- Does Steam Cleaning Kill Parvo? - May 11, 2023
- Best Way to Clean Laminate Floors – Top Tips for a Streak-Free Finish - April 29, 2023
- What Floors Can You Use a Steam Mop On? - April 29, 2023