The Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop is a floor cleaning machine that utilizes the power of steam to lift dirt and grime. The device can tackle regular and tough stains, making it a must-have for every household. It’s easy to use and effectively cleans your floors, and it comes with an onboard spot boost brush that makes cleaning more convenient.
The Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop can easily remove dirt and grime from all types of floors, including tile, linoleum, marble, and sealed wood floors. The unit has many great features, including an onboard spot boost brush, variable steam control, a 25-foot long power cord, and a large water tank. Plus, the power of hot steam is perfect for lifting tough stains, and the included spring breeze fragrance disc helps freshen the air as you clean.
Key Features of the BISSELL PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop 1806
This review will discuss the features, usage instructions, and drawbacks of the device to help you decide if this steam mop is a good fit for your home.
Easy Use Scrubbing Tool
The onboard spot boost brush of the Deluxe Steam Mop offers the user a more thorough, deep cleaning of the flooring surface. The scrubbing brush gets into cracks and crevices to remove tough, sticky messes and dried-on debris. It is a great tool for grout cleaning.
To use the scrubby brush, lift the main body of the machine by the pedal located on the back of the machine. The SpotBoost Brush is hidden at the bottom of the device and has several stiff bristles that effectively clean surfaces.
Easily Fillable Water Tank
One of the best features of the Deluxe Steam Mop is its easily fillable water tank. The tank can hold up to 19 ounces of water, enough for 15-20 minutes of steam cleaning on the highest steam setting. The tank is also transparent, so the user can see how much water is left and when to refill.
The water reservoir is located on the top of the machine’s body, and to fill the water tank, lift the cap straight up to open, fill the tank with distilled water with the included water cup, and close the lid after refilling.
The Bissell Powerfresh Deluxe is compatible with Bissell scented demineralized waters, available in Spring Breeze, Eucalyptus Mint, and Citrus Scents.
Continuous Steam Without Holding Down a Button
As a designated steam mop, this hard surface steam cleaner will output steam without needing to hold down a button or trigger. This makes steaming large floor areas easier on your hands. The handle is ergonomically designed for ease of use.
Microfiber Washable Mop Pads
The Bissell Steam Mop also comes with two microfiber washable mop pads, which fit the 12-inch wide mop head.
The white cleaning pad is designed for general mopping or more delicate flooring such as laminate. The scrubby mop pad is used for tougher cleaning tasks and is best used on a sealed hard floor such as tile.
Ensure the gray stitching on the front of the foot, and Quick-Grip Release Tab on the back of the foot is aligned when securing the mop pad. These pads can be washed in the washing machine and then air-dried.
Fresh Scent Discs
The Bissell steam mop also comes with two Spring Breeze scent discs. These scent discs can be inserted into the scent disc slot on the front of the mop. The Spring Breeze scent will help to freshen the air as you steam mop.
You can use the whole disc for a more potent smell or cut the disc in half for a lighter scent.
Combine the spring breeze fragrance discs with the spring breeze demineralized water for a refreshing scent throughout your entire home.
SmartSet Steam Control
The SmartSet Steam Control is located on the body of the mop. This touchpad allows you to choose the amount of steam you want to use. You can push the high steam button to clean durable and sticky messes or the low steam button to clean delicate surfaces. The low steam setting is excellent for use on laminate floors.
Whether cleaning a small spill or tackling a tougher mess, the SmartSet™ Steam Control gives you the flexibility to choose the right amount of steam for the job.
Lightweight with Extra Long Power Cord
The Deluxe Steam Mop weighs only 6.2 pounds, which makes it one of the lightest steam mops on the market. This is great because it makes the mop easy to maneuver around furniture and obstacles, and it also makes it easy to carry upstairs or pick up and store after use.
Furthermore, the Deluxe Steam Mop cord is 25 feet long, giving you plenty of room to move around while cleaning. This is helpful for cleaning large spaces without having to move power outlets.
Things to Consider:
The Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop lacks a few features that are expected in this price range, such as:
- The water tank is not removable – you will need to bring the water to the machine.
- This steamer lacks extra tools or accessories for cleaning carpets, windows, and other above-the-floor surfaces.
I have compared 8 Bissell steam mops on one page if you want to consider other Bissell models.
How To Assemble the PowerFresh Deluxe
The PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop was easy to assemble. The following steps will guide you through the process:
- Snap the mop head onto the body of the unit.
- Attach the handle to the body and fix the screw until tightened.
- Finally, wrap the cord around the quick release cord wrap and secure it with the cord clip.
Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe Instructions
- Plug in the steam mop and press the Power button to turn on the machine.
- Wait for 30 seconds to heat the unit or when the blinking steam-ready light turns solid.
- Choose your desired steam level based on your cleaning needs.
- Use the microfiber pads to sanitize and clean an area of your floor. Be sure to slowly and evenly stroke the mop at least three times using continuous steam across the floor for sanitizing. Be sure not to hold the steam mop in one place on delicate floorings such as hardwood timber or laminate floors.
- Use the included SpotBoost Brush to help scrub the surface for overly challenging messes.
- When you have finished mopping, press the Power button to turn off the steam mop and unplug it when done.
- Allow the steam mop to cool and remove the microfiber pad from the bottom. Hand or machine wash the microfiber pad – do not use any fabric softener.
Does the Bissell 1806 Steam Mop Require Distilled Water?
Bissell recommends using only distilled water or demineralized water in their steam mops. Furthermore, Bissell advises never to put descaling products, detergents, vinegar, aromatic products (such as essential oils), or products containing alcohol into the steam mop. These products may cause damage.
Can you use Bissell Multi-Surface Cleaner in a Steam Mop?
Bissell recommends using distilled or demineralized water in the Powerfresh Deluxe steam mop. The Bissell Multi-Surface cleaner is designed for use in the Bissell Crosswave and Bissell Spinwave Floor Cleaners. Do not use Bissell Multi-Surface cleaner in the Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe Steam Mop. You can, however, use the Bissell scented demineralized water:
Bissell's most popular scent, Spring Breeze is available as scented discs for steam mops, or this 32oz bottle of scented demineralized water. Use is any steam mop for a fresh aroma as you clean. Use straight out of the bottle, or dilute with distilled or demineralized water for a lighter scent (and longer lasting product).
Where to Buy Pads for Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe?
If you need replacement pads for your Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe steam mop, you can find them easily on Amazon. You can buy both generic pads and genuine Bissell pads, here are two options:
Bissell 1806 vs 1940 (PowerFresh Deluxe vs PowerFresh Steam Mop)
The Bissell 1806 and 1940 steam mops are both PowerFresh models designed to clean and sanitize your hard floors. Both models are lightweight and use 1500 Watt power to clean tough, sticky messes on flooring without harsh chemicals. However, there are a few differences between the two models, such as:
- 1806 (PowerFresh Deluxe)features a built-in water reservoir that can hold up to 19 ounces of water, while 1940 comes with a removable water tank that can hold up to 16 ounces of water.
- The PowerFresh 1940 comes with a built-in easy scrubber which flips down on the back of the steamer. The steamer head removes from the PowerFresh Deluxe to reveal a larger bristle brush scrubbing tool.
- The Bissell 1940 features three levels of steam settings, while 1806 has two levels.
- The Bissell 1940 comes with a carpet glider attachment, while the Bissell 1806 does not.
- The PowerFresh Deluxe has a compartment for the fragrance discs on the steamer head, whereas the 1940 does not – you place these between the mop head and mop pad instead.
- Finally, the Bissell 1940 is priced under $100, while the Bissell 1806 is priced slightly higher, just over $100.
If you have carpet in your home, you may find the original Bissell PowerFresh (1940 model) a better choice than the PowerFresh Deluxe, as it has the carpet glider attachment. If you have a larger expanse of tile in your home, the scrubbing brush on the PowerFresh Deluxe is far better suited to cleaning grout.
Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe 1806 vs Pet Steam Mop 19404
The Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe 1806 and the Pet Steam Mop 19404 are hard floor steam mops that can clean Sealed Hardwood, Ceramic, Linoleum, Granite, and Marble. However, 19404 is specifically designed to remove pet messes from your floors. Besides the pet-specific features, there are a few other differences between the two mops.
- The first difference is that the 19404 comes with a removable water tank, while 1806 has a built-in water tank that cannot be removed.
- The second difference is that the 19404 also has a digital steam control with low, medium, and high settings, while 1806 only has high and low settings.
- The third difference is that 19404 comes with a carpet glider and Odor Eliminating Scent Discs, while 1806 does not have a carpet glider and comes with spring breeze scent discs. There is also a compartment on the steam head of the Deluxe model to place the fragrance discs, whereas the pet model requires you to place the discs between the mop head and the mop pad.
- The “pet” steam mop really isn’t any different to the original PowerFresh 1940 model. There is a variation in color (from blue to purple). The odor eliminating discs are designed to eliminate pet smells, where as the others emit a lovely scent.
Can You Use Pine-Sol in Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe?
Pine-Sol should not be used in your Bissell PowerFresh Deluxe because it contains benzoic acid, sodium salts, and sulfonic acids that can damage your steamer and void the warranty. Instead, use distilled water or a Bissell scented demineralized water.
Overall, the Bissell Powerfresh Deluxe steam mop is an excellent basic steam mop that should meet the needs of most users. It is lightweight, easy to use, and kills 99.9 percent germs without harsh chemicals. It is best suited to tile floors, however, the variable steam models allow for use on other types of flooring as well.
The PowerFresh Deluxe lacks some features on more expensive models, such as a detachable water tank and extra tools or accessories, particularly for above floor cleaning. If you are looking for an inexpensive steam mop with a scrubbing function, this is an excellent choice. If you are looking for a more feature-rich steam cleaner for whole house cleaning, may want to consider spending a bit more money on a higher-end model or canister steam cleaner.